Monday, April 20, 2009

It has been a few weeks since I wrote any kind of update so I will take some time out of my busy day (10:47pm) to write a little blurb about my boring life. Nothing really much has happened the past few weeks, since one of the teachers at my school had to go home due to an emergency it has been really busy at my job. We also started going to this high school in town to teach english. We are not employees of the high school, our boss has just whored us out to them for what we are all guessing is an astronomical amount of money that we will never see any of. I would call the people we teach “high school” students but half of them would probably not pass a junior high entrance exam. Things that have been asked to me by students thus far “do you like sex?” which in shitty high school english is “you sex?” “are you a hippopotamus?” or again in high school english “you hippopotamus?” and “i like girls” or “me, girls, yes!”. I think our boss had no clue what she was getting into when she agreed to send us to the school. At first she told us to “just make the lessons fun, play games like telephone” We all (the teachers) told her that contrary to what she may think 17 year old rugby players do not like to play telephone. What they do like to do is slouch in their desks with their arms crossed and stare at you in silence and randomly say something quickly in japanese which causes everyone in class to laugh. The other teacher I go to the school with said after the first lesson he taught (our boss was in the room) that our boss had a look of fear on her face, shocked at the stupidity of these students. For all the downfalls of american high schools, at least where I went the students were quiet. Maybe we didn't learn much, maybe we didn't pay attention but at least we weren't assholes. I wish I could say this much for the the students of Chuho high school.

Other than going to the high school I don`t hate any part of my job. It is easy, there is virtually no preparation involved, the students are nice and my co-workers are awesome. The city I have moved also is nice. I like the fact that I can ride my bike anywhere I need to go, part of the city look like a total dump but parts of it are really beautiful. The people have been friendly, but the nightlife is not as lively as a single 27 year old Chicago boy would like. My co-workers are really nice, awesome people though. Australians might be my favorite kind of people that I have met while traveling. When i traveled Europe I met this couple from new Zealand (which yes i know is not australia) who were amazing people and the guy I traveled with and I met a guy from Tasmania who was hilarious and awesome (despite smuggling hash across international lines without telling the guy I was traveling with or me). Almost all my co-workers are Australian and have all been amazingly nice to me. Two of them are a couple and are leaving in september and I want to move into their apartment so badly. It is so, so, so nice, they are also selling their playstation 3 and about 10 games for 500 bucks so I will prob end up buying it when they go. I played it for the first time at their place yesterday. they had a BBQ and after the three of us played it for a bit and the graphics are so insane. The best game we played was some tennis game. They spanked me in it but it was still pretty awesome.

I have been going out almost every saturday night until around 3 or 4 am with my co-worker and some of his friends. As I wrote previously I am horrible at small talk and last weekend when I was waiting for my friend to arrive I was chatting to some Japanese guy at the bar, who at first slightly creeped me out by saying “i like big butts” in english, but ended up being a pretty good guy. He was putting in so much effort talking to me. We were both in the bar by ourselves, he was waiting for his girlfriend and I am just a loser. So we were chatting and I was trying to think of things to talk about and I realized that maybe my lack of conversational skills could stem from the reality that maybe I am just not that interesting of a person. A lot of other people who live in this town are so chatty with each other and i watch them with envy as I just think to myself how I wish I could be that friendly all the time but maybe it is just the fact that I don`t really have much to say. Who knows? not me.

Speaking of Ipod`s yesterday I got an ipod touch. I mostly blame Pat for convincing me to do this. I was planning to buy one in a few weeks when I get paid but I figured that I had the money so why not buy it now. It is pretty awesome, but I want to buy applications for it but I do not have a credit card and no stores near me sell itunes gift cards so someone reading this should buy me a gift card and send it to evanmallon@gmail.com. Thanks everyone.

One hilarious thing that the kids that I teach do while we play games is something that they would like to call “obama power” when they are playing a game, for example UNO, and they want a red card they will say “red red OBAMA!” and turn over the card and if it is not red they say “aww obama didn't help me” and if it is red they say “OBAMA!!!!” it is pretty hilarious. And the group of kids that do that every week did another thing that was pretty hilarious. They hid from me when I walked into the room and then they all jumped out and yelled JACK BAUER! in really deep voices. It was awesome.

Anyway it is really late and I am getting tired and gotta work tomorrow.

1 comment: